Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controller problem
Hi Guys, just turned my lights on and even though they are in computer controlled mode and the red light is on (not flashing) one of the channels is on quiet faint but on, when it gets the contact to turn on it dose turn on correctly to the correct brightness, has the controller gone faulty???? Huh Huh
Hi Rick
A bit confused on what you're problem is.
Red light on steady, means that the controller is part of the network (i.e. controlled from your computer using RS485)
You say one of the channels is on quite faint! Do you mean one of your LED strings connected to that channel?
What type controller and what lights are you having the problem with?

If it's a DC 3 or 8 Channel controller and a string of LEDs, then I'd check the controller channel using the device manager and ensure you've set the brightness for that channel the same as the other channels.
If I'm on the right track and that doesn't solve your problem, then look at your connections for that set of lights (sounds like high resistance - i.e. DC plug isn't inserted fully into socket for that circuit..
If that's not the case, then change over two sets of lights and see if the issue is still there on that channel.
If the issue is still there, then look at your connections on the circuit board (Controller) - you may have crimped some of the insulation when connecting the wires in the terminals.
If none of that works and I'm on the right track with controllers and lights, then it could be an issue with the controller itself. These controllers are pretty robust, and also the MCUs are very reliable, so I'd look at other things first before worrying about a dodgy controller.
Sorry if this is long winded and isn't relative to what your actual problem is, but maybe it will help you
Regards
Sandy
Hi Sandy, sorry not explained right, but yes i have 8 channel plug and play dc controllers, and one of them is connected to a leaping arch which has 8 channels on it, one of the channels is on all the time even though the red light is on all the time, the lights do not seem a bright as they was, the night before they was fine no problem. i will check all the connections in the morning to see if any loose i will also directly wire up to controller to see if the settings have changed at all.

just strange that last night everything was fine no tonight there are a few channels that stay on all times.
Hi Rick
Those symptoms now appear different to your original 'one channel faded' problem.
That would make me consider it could be a problem with your data cables (RS485)
Check that A and B are still connected internally to your controller, and also make sure the 'ground/screened' connection is secured in the terminal block. The data is transmitted from your master controller to/from the other controllers via the A & B wires. These data signals need a reference point (ground) to work properly, otherwise the data will be transmitted and received in an incoherent manner and will result in erratic results.
If you are using your computer as the 'master' then this is a good possibility.
If you're using something like the SD Card controller as the master, then look at my previous thread on the SD Card Controller replacing your computer. That's a different cause for what looks like the symptoms you are now having - so ignore it if you're using your computer and concentrate on the data cables and their connections.
Good luck
Sandy
(10-12-2017, 12:08 AM)sandy123 Wrote: Hi Rick
Those symptoms now appear different to your original 'one channel faded' problem.
That would make me consider it could be a problem with your data cables (RS485)
Check that A and B are still connected internally to your controller, and also make sure the 'ground/screened' connection is secured in the terminal block. The data is transmitted from your master controller to/from the other controllers via the A & B wires. These data signals need a reference point (ground) to work properly, otherwise the data will be transmitted and received in an incoherent manner and will result in erratic results.
If you are using your computer as the 'master' then this is a good possibility.
If you're using something like the SD Card controller as the master, then look at my previous thread on the SD Card Controller replacing your computer. That's a different cause for what looks like the symptoms you are now having - so ignore it if you're using your computer and concentrate on the data cables and their connections.
Good luck
Sandy
Hi Sandy, this is still a small issue, i went through all the connections and checked them, when i put it back on (yes i am running program via a computer ) some was sorted but 2 strings still issue, i check the connections again but still no joy. if you think of say a leaping arch with 8 sets of lights on, all to one plug and play 8 channel controller, one of the sets of lights stays on, not to full brightness say about 50%, when the program calls for that set of lights to come on it goes to full brightness. i will recheck during day tomorrow but could it be within the controller housing?

i will take a video tonight so you can see what i mean
Hi Rick
If you're using Plug & Play connections, it may be that moisture has got into on of the plug/socket connections.
I don't know if this may be relevant as I've never tried it, but access the controller using device manager and see if you've got that channel switched on and/or the brightness level is off the zero.
If I get the chance tomorrow morning, I'll rig up some spare lights and a controller to see if I can replicate your problem using the device manager. My wife is doing the housework, so I'll be disappearing into my garage/workshop to stay out of her way (ha! ha!)
Sandy
Hi Rick,

It maybe a bit of damp/condensation on the controller itself. The moisture may conduct a little charge causing the MOFSET in the controller to let a small amount of current leak through causing very dim lights. Leaving the controller powered up in the day can help dry it out as the PCB generates a small amount of heat itself.

In extreme conditions spaying the PCB with a special PCB lacquer can help protect from moisture.

Craig.
Hi Rick
I've tried replicating your problem - no joy though.
I tweaked the controller using the device manager. The controller reverts back to it's built in sequence when not part of the network. All lights/channels work as expected. When part of the network, the only way I can get one channel to stay lit is when I actually stop the programme in show designer (it was an Arches show I used and all 8 channels in use).
So! I'm still swaying towards moisture or a dodgy connection, rather than you having a dodgy controller.
Sandy
Sandy / Craig, moisture it is, the controller had come off its mounting and was facing down with the wires going into it facing upwards!!!! opened it up and borrowed the wife's hair dryer (hope she not read this tread) sealed it back up and hey presto working fine. Thanks both for your inputs.